Another big game today were Switzerland will need to win this game and hope that Ecuador lose against France in the other game to have any chance of qualification to next round. Honduras of course are playing for pride after losing both of their opening matches. The game will be played in the late kickoff tonight at the same time when France takes on Ecuador.
The match is suppose to be played in Arena da Amazonia in Manuas and that is where Switzerland might struggle having not played outside of europe in the last 3 years. Conditions in Manuas has kind of effected teams like England and Portugal earlier in the group games and this is something Ottmar Hitzfeld’s men has to be vary off.
Match Statistics and Preview:
- The only game between these two sides was played in 2010 world cup in south africa which was also the last group game finishing 0-0.
- Honduras tend to struggle against European teams in the world cups as they have never won a game against European at world stage. Switzerland on the other hand likes playing against north american sides as they have won 1 and drawn 2 matches.
- Switzerland’s defeat against France was so heavy that they doubled their goals conceded in last 9 matches. Prior to france game they had only conceded 5 goals in 9 world cup games.
- Honduras are winless in their last 8 world cup games and they broke the record of longest run in world cup without a win.
- Swiss side has something about them as the tend to score in the last 20 minutes of the mathches.
Possible Starting Lineups Switzerland – Honduras:
Steve von Bergen is the only injury worry for swiss side and the change in the starting lineup I can is that of Blerim Dzemaili who scored when he came as a sub in the earlier game. Honduras are likey to make a few changes with Emilio Izaguirre missing out as his fitness is doubtful. This is how I expect both teams to lineup.
Switzerland should restore order with a win against Honduras and France will beat Ecuador leaving the door open for Swiss side to join them in next round. I can see a boring game this one with Switzerland winning it late in the game 1-0.