This is a knockout tie in every sense the winner of this match is going to the join Belgium from this group in the knockout stages, Although Algeria can just get a draw which will be enough for them to qualify for knockout stages given Belgium dont lose against South Korea with big margin.
Russia must win this game to get through to the next round, Fabio Cappelo side has been a big disappointment in the first two games but the kind of results we had in this group they are well and truely in with a chance of making it to the next round. Below as the short match preview and possible starting lineups of both sides.
Match Statistics & Preview:
- This will be the second ever meeting between these two sides, the only game played before ended in a 2-2 result.
- Algeria dont like playing against European sides as they have only won once in 7 world cup games against European teams losing 4 and drawing twice.
- Algeria are prone to late goals as all of their last 8 goals conceded have come in the 2nd half, Russians also have the similar record having conceded 8 of their last 9 goals in world cups in secon half.
- Russians find it very difficult to get a clean sheet as they have only done once since 1994 world cup, while Algeria became the first African side who scored 4 goals in one world cup.
- So we are all set for another thriller here, I can see goals glore and some late drama.
Possible Starting Lineups of Russia-Algeria:
Both teams are bound to make couple of changes in the last group game and here is how I expect both sides to lineup.
This game is promises to be a cracker of a game, Russian have been very defensive but they have to come out and attack Algeria and try to win the game as they can qualify for next round with a victory, Algeria on the other hand are a team full of confidence after the tore South Korea apart in their 2nd group game scoring 4 goals which is a record by a african side.
ALgeria are a very physical side with speed on the wings, which can cause all sort of problems for Russian defence but I think Capello will be able to organize his defence in a manner which can make life difficult for Algeria. I am going with a Russia win in this one, possible a late winner.